Software Factory creates a common, cooperative platform for software business, basic & applied software development research and education. Software Factory is an experimental software R&D laboratory aiming at stimulating Education, Cross-disciplinary research and High-expectation entrepreneurships
Projects in the factory
Education - Bringing Passion to Development
Software Factory projects combine advantages of both business and education. The working and learning environment is very close to real work life but on the other hand in Software Factory projects:
- You can use the latest methods, tools, and languages. No need to work with systems created ten years ago with methods fifteen years old.
- You are free to experiment with new things. No need to do the same thing every day.
- You can greatly influence how things are done. No need to do unneccessary bureaucracy.
Research - Have Research Your Way
A typical problem with software engineering research is that either it is difficult to find companies that provide reasonable research possibilities or the research is made with students in artificial environments. Software Factory provides a solution for this problem. In Software Factory you can do research in a very authentic environment. Most of the participants in Software Factory projects are students but the environment is very business-like:
- The team works constantly together just like in a real work place.
- There is always a real business demand behind the project, which makes the project context valid for research.
- Researchers can observe the team members any time and even participate in the projects if participant observation is considered useful.